Based in New York City, Mario J. McNulty is a Grammy Award-winning music producer, mixer and engineer who’s worked with David Bowie, Prince, Nine Inch Nails, Willow Smith, Laurie Anderson, Harry Nilsson, Julian Lennon, Justin Tranter and many other well-known artists.
At the 50th Grammy Awards ceremony, Mario J. McNulty won a Grammy in the Best Contemporary World Music category for Angelique Kidjo’s Djin Djin. Other Grammy nominated albums include Homeland by Laurie Anderson and The Next Day by David Bowie.
Most recently, Mario mixed the new Willow Smith album entitled Lately I Feel Everything featuring the smash single, “Transparent Soul” feat. Travis Barker. He’s also co-produced and mixed Earl Slick’s new album, Fist Full of Devils. Mario also mixed The Anchoress’ “The Art of Losing” single from her second album, The Art of Losing.
In 2018, Mario was asked to do something unprecedented. He completely re-produced, re-mixed and re-recorded David Bowie’s Never Let Me Down album, a project that David personally sought Mario to do. At New York’s Electric Lady Studios, Mario enlisted drummer Sterling Campbell, guitarist Reeves Gabrels, guitarist David Torn and bassist Tim Lefebvre along with special guest Laurie Anderson to play on the new version.
Mario has also collaborated with Lou Reed, Earl Slick, Anti-Flag, The Raveonettes, Manic Street Preachers, Kashmir, Siddhartha, Alejandro Escovedo, and Cynthia Erivo.
* Mixed Joey Molland’s (Badfinger) 2020 release, Be True To Yourself.
* Mixed Harry Nilsson’s posthumous album release, Losst And Founnd.
* Re-produced, recorded and mixed David Bowie’s Never Let Me Down 2018.
* Engineered David Bowie’s The Next Day and Reality.
* Co-Produced, recorded and mixed Glen Matlock’s Good To Go.
* Produced, recorded and mixed Semi-Precious Weapons debut, We Love You.
* Engineered and Mixed Laurie Anderson’s Homeland release.
* Co-Produced/Engineered/mixed Earl Slick’s upcoming release.
* Recorded Siddhartha’s Únicos.
* Mixed The Raveonettes’ Beauty Dies EP.
* Mixed Anti-Flag’s The People or the Gun.
* Engineered Anti-Flag’s The Bright Lights of America, Neil and Tim Finn’s Everyone Is Here, Manic Street Preachers’ Lifeblood, and Kashmir’s No Balance Palace feat. Lou Reed and David Bowie.
American Songwriter – March 2021
Tape Op – March 2021
NME – January 2021
Celeb Mix – April 2019
Modern Drummer – February 2019
Ultimate Classic Rock – October 2018
Variety – October 2018
Daily Beast – October 2018
Consequence of Sound – October 2018
Edge Media Network – October 2018
Culture Vultures – October 2018
Rolling Stone – July 2018
Rolling Stone – July 2018
Pitchfork – July 2018
Variety – July 2018
Billboard – July 2018
Consequence of Sound – July 2018
David Bowie – July 2018
GLYPH Interview – December 2014
Laurie Anderson – June 2010