Five-time Grammy-winning producer/engineer/mixer Kevin Killen has spent the last several decades compiling an impressive list of credentials featuring the premier pop artists in the music industry, from Peter Gabriel’s SO to 8 albums with Elvis Costello (including those with Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach and The Brodsky Quartet), three albums with U2, David Bowie to Kate Bush, Sugarland to Shawn Colvin. Add in the names of Bryan Ferry, Shakira, Suzanne Vega, Jewel and Duncan Sheik and you get the idea.
At the 59th Annual Grammy Awards held on 12 February 2017, Kevin took home three Grammys for co-producing and mixing Yo Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble’s Sing Me Home for Best World Music Album, for engineering Blackstar for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical and Blackstar (again) as Best Alternative Music Album. Additionally, Kevin received an MPG Award from Thursday’s (16 February 2017) MPG Awards in London as recording engineer on Blackstar was named UK Album of the Year.
Recently, Kevin recorded David Bowie’s final release, Blackstar for producer Tony Visconti and co-produced and mixed the Yo Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble’s Sing Me Home (Masterworks Broadway) as well as mixed Lazarus (the Original Broadway Cast Album), David Bowie’s masterpiece of a Broadway music. The album features special guest performers Rhiannon Giddens, Sarah Jarosz, Abigail Washburn, Gregory Porter, Lisa Fischer, Grammy Award®-winning jazz guitarist, Bill Frisell and more.
Kevin also mixed the Song of Lahore CD (Universal Music Classics) featuring such musical luminaries as Wynton Marsalis, Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Nels Cline of Wilco, Sean Lennon and Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks. He’s also mixed Brandon Flowers (The Killers) single, “Between Me And You” from The Desired Effect; co-produced, recorded and mixed Anne Sofie Von Otter and Brooklyn Rider’s So Many Things CD; recorded and mixed Blue Diaries for producer Patrick Leonard; mixed Suzanne Vega’s album Tales Of The Realm of the Queen of Pentacles; produced and mixed Dar Williams’ In The Time of Gods; and mixed Bobby McFerrin’s critically-acclaimed album, Spirityouall.
Currently, Kevin was just at Real World Studios recording Nick Mulvey’s album produced by Ethan Jones.
* Kevin earned 5 Grammys for Shakira’s 9x Platinum Fijacion Oral, Vol. 1,
* Mixed David Bowie’s Lazarus (the Original Broadway Cast Album)
* Recorded and mixed Johnny Reid’s Juno-winning Best Country Album entitled Fire It Up.
* Mixed Sugarland’s multi-platinum/most successful release, Love On The Inside, featuring three (3) #1 hits on the Billboard Country Music charts: “All I Want to Do”, “Already Gone” and “It Happens”.
* Mixed and recorded Peter Gabriel’s landmark release, SO, featuring the groundbreaking singles “Sledgehammer,” “Don’t Give Up,” “Big Time,” and “Red Rain”. Five (5x) Platinum in the United States and Three (3x) Platinum in the UK.
During MixCon in Brooklyn in December 2015, Kevin spoke about his process in the studio and his long history in the industry. Check out his presentation below:
Listen to Brandon Flowers single “Between Me and You” off his new album The Desired Effect, mixed by Kevin Killen.