Eight-time Grammy-winning producer/engineer/mixer Kevin Killen has spent the last four decades compiling an impressive list of credentials featuring the premier pop artists in the music industry: David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Elvis Costello, U2, Yo-Yo Ma & The Silk Road Ensemble, Kate Bush, Jewel, Tori Amos, Sugarland, Bon Jovi, Duncan Sheik and Shakira to name but a few.
At the 59th Annual Grammy Awards held in February 2017, Kevin was awarded a Grammy for co-producing and mixing Yo-Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble’s Sing Me Home for Best World Music Album. In addition, he was awarded the coveted Grammy for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical, for David Bowie’s final studio album – Blackstar and a third Grammy as Blackstar took honors for Best Alternative Music Album.
Kevin received an MPG Award in London for recording engineer as Blackstar was named UK Album of the Year 2017.
These latest awards add to the five previous Grammys Kevin received for his engineering work on Shakira’s Fijacion Oral, Vol. 1 double album release.
Kevin continues to pursue new boundaries for himself as he completed his first Original Broadway Cast album: Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 starring Josh Groban. He also recorded and mixed David Bowie’s musical, Lazarus, and recorded the British punk rock group The Damned’s, Evil Spirits, produced by Tony Visconti.
*Kevin won 3 Grammys at the 2017 Grammys for Best Engineer of the Year, Best Alternative Music Album and Best World Music Album.
* Kevin earned 4 Grammys for Shakira’s 11x Platinum Fijacion Oral, Vol. 1.
* Recorded and mixed David Bowie’s Lazarus (the Original Broadway Cast Album).
* Recorded and mixed Johnny Reid’s Juno-winning Best Country Album entitled Fire It Up.
* Mixed Sugarland’s 2x Platinum/most successful release, Love On The Inside, featuring three (3) #1 hits on the Billboard Country Music charts: “All I Want to Do”, “Already Gone” and “It Happens”.
* Mixed and recorded Peter Gabriel’s landmark release, SO, featuring the groundbreaking singles “Sledgehammer,” “Don’t Give Up,” “Big Time,” and “Red Rain”. 5x Platinum in the United States and 3x Platinum in the UK.
During MixCon in Brooklyn in December 2015, Kevin spoke about his process in the studio and his long history in the industry. Check out his presentation below:
Listen to Brandon Flowers single “Between Me and You” off his new album The Desired Effect, mixed by Kevin Killen.
Five Grammy Wins for Work with Bowie -Feb 2017
Recording Studio Rockstars Podcast
Take Two Review -April 2016
Sound on Sound Magazine -Aug 2014
Guitar World -March 2014
USA Today -Jan 2014
AspenTimes -Mar 2013
ProSoundWeb -Jan 2014