The dream of every producer is to walk into a recording studio and hear someone so different, so special that he knows immediately that this is the one!
In late 2000, Jay got a call from a friend at Blue Note asking, “Would you record some demos with a new artist?” Jay replied, “Sure. Let’s use Sorcerer Sound.” Initially, Jay drove down to Sorcerer Sound with the artist to check it out. Then, he went to Brooklyn to see a rehearsal with her band. Jay recalls, “It was incredible. Surreal. I mean every single song was remarkable”.
What Norah Jones knew when she chose to work with Jay was that he worked on some amazing records. Especially Etta James’ first Grammy winner, Mystery Lady: The Songs Of Billie Holiday, which in Norah’s words, ‘influenced her greatly growing up’.
The Norah Jones debut release came out in February of 2002. Led by Jay’s co-production of the breakout radio single, “Don’t Know Why,” Come Away With Me led Jay to earn four Grammys for that album including Engineer of the Year, Record of the Year, Album of the Year and Pop Vocal of the Year. Norah’s follow up album, Feels Like Home, which was recorded and mixed by Jay.
But don’t believe for a second that 9x Grammy-winning producer/mixer Jay Newland’s career began here. Jay’s been privileged (his words) to have worked with such Jazz greats as Pat Metheny, Charlie Haden, Keith Jarrett, Etta James, Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Randy Weston, and Abbey Lincoln; Blues stars Junior Wells, Buddy Guy, Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown, Charles Brown, Pinetop Perkins, James Cotton, Lowell Fulson, Robert “Jr.” Lockwood and Taj Mahal and Gospel legends Mavis Staples and The Dixie Hummingbirds with Paul Simon and Stevie Wonder as well as Eric Clapton.
*Nine (9) Grammy awards for producing and mixing.
* Mixed Australian artist Missy Higgins’ 10x platinum release, The Sound Of White and her most recent album, OZ! released September 2014,
* Recorded and Mixed the 2013 Grammy-winning album Liquid Spirit by jazz great Gregory Porter,
* Co-Produced (with Arif Mardin), recorded and mixed Norah Jones’ “Don’t Know Why” single from her debut album which sold over 22 million units worldwide and recorded and mixed her second album, Come Away With Me, which sold 11 million units worldwide,
* Recorded and mixed Sophisticated Ladies by the Charlie Haden Quartet West feat. Renee Fleming, Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Melody Gardot, Diana Krall and Ruth Cameron,
* Recorded and mixed French superstar Ayo’s million plus selling single “Down On My Knees” as well as her debut album, Joyful,
* Recorded Esperanza Spaulding’s masterful debut, Chamber Music Society. This was the album which gained her both critical acclaim and a Grammy for the Best New Artist.